It is inconceivable to think you cannot conceive until you are diagnosed with infertility. Suddenly, the simplest thing in the world to achieve is unreachable.

“A Girlfriend’s Guide Through Infertility” is written by two no-nonsense women who share their raw emotions regarding suicidal thoughts, nosey co-workers and how to find the right doctor. The authors spent three years researching well-known and not so well-known causes of infertility. While their book focuses on personal struggles and triumphs it also focuses on infertility education and prevention. When going through infertility it is important to keep a sense of humor, so do not be surprised if you find yourself laughing with them from time to time as they find satire in the most unsuspecting situations.

~ Gina and Alicia are currently looking for agents and/or publishers. If you are interested in learning more about this book, please contact us.

Unexplained Infertility

I stopped taking the pill even before my Wedding day. I figured if I got pregnant it would be a wonderful thing. I had the attitude that if I were to get pregnant right away then it was meant to be. Little did I know that it would take 10 years for it to happen.

For the first five years of my marriage, I didn't give the fact that I was not getting pregnant another thought. I kept telling myself it would happen when it happened. I was working on my career, had graduated from college and wanted to own a house before having kids (I had goals!). Since pregnancy wasn't happening as fast as I thought it would I kept telling everyone "after I go on a cruise to Alaska I will start having babies." Yes, I wanted to go on a cruise but that's expensive! I figured if I told people I was planning something that major they would go along with the story that I was not planning on having kids until I could go on that trip. I figured if I continued to point out my focus on a career and owning a house people would stop prying into my personal life. I thought I could distract others like I was distracting myself but it didn't work out that way.

After being married 6 years I figured it was time to, at the very least, start asking questions. I made an appointment with my OBGYN to discuss what could be inhibiting me from getting pregnant. My OBGYN didn't take me seriously and she didn't order any tests that would tell me what could be wrong. She told me to pay attention to when I was ovulating and go from there. I continued to put off addressing this issue for two more years until my biological clock started to tick a little louder than it had been. I switched OBGYN's and had the same discussion with a new doctor. This time, a Hysterosalpingogram (which detects if there is any blockage, adhesions or abnormalities in the fallopian tubes or uterus) and Laparoscopy (to detect Endometriosis or cysts present) were ordered. Blood tests were ordered as were Urinalysis and the list goes on and on. Nothing medically was found.

I am considered "Unexplained Infertility." What this means is after many tests on both me and my husband; a determination cannot be made as to why we could not get pregnant without In-Vitro Fertilization. At some point I will have to accept this diagnosis and at this point in my life I can't say I need to have the answer. I would have liked to know why though, clinically and scientifically, I could not get pregnant on my own. It would have been helpful during my many years of infertility to have something to focus on to "fix" rather than just coasting through life on hope. Are you facing infertility? If you have been given a diagnosis that causes your infertility does it give you hope that you can overcome? Are you part of the small percentage of Unexplained Infertility? We would love for you to share your story with us....

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment